Bunions are a slow-growing condition. Genetics plays a large role in determining whether you may develop a bunion at some point in life. However, there are multiple things you can do to lessen the chances of developing a bunion or prevent a bunion from getting worse. Our medical team at Podiatry Services at CNY is comprised of physicians who are all experts at treating bunions in Syracuse, NY.
We also have satellite offices in Cammilus, Cortland, Oswego, Auburn, Central Square, Kirkville Office (Syracuse), Pulaski, Baldwinsville, Chittenango, Norwich, and our third location to treat bunions in Syracuse, NY - our Western Lights office.
Slowing the growth of a bunion is a possibility! Preventative measures that may keep bunion growth from worsening are :
- Monitor the shape of your feet. This is particularly important if bunions run in your family and you know that you are predisposed to develop one. Pay close attention to the side of your big toe, at the junction where the big toe meets the foot.
- Do not wear tight-fitting shoes. Your shoes should always fit comfortably on your feet, especially around the toe region. This is so that your weight is distributed more evenly and there is no pinching of the toes.
- Avoid high heels, or at least avoid wearing them daily.
- Shop for new shoes in the evening. This is because your feet will likely be somewhat swollen at the end of the day. You want to buy shoes that accommodate this slightly larger size of the feet.
- You might want to look into getting custom orthotics for your shoes to better fit the shape of your foot. An example of this is fallen arches or flat feet. The orthotic will help to distribute the weight of your body evenly.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Again, this has to do with taking pressure off of the foot. The more you weigh, the more pressure will be transferred to the feet when you walk.
- Take special care of your feet! Soak them in warm water, perhaps with Epsom Salts. Receiving a foot massage and elevating your feet throughout the day will help circulation and lessen the chances of developing a bunion.
If you are experiencing pain and it is affecting your walking, it is time to schedule a consultation at one of our locations. Get treatment for bunions in:
- Syracuse, NY (315) 458-1777
- Camillus, NY (315) 487-2631
- Cortland, NY (607) 756-8831
- Oswego, NY (315) 342-9743
- Auburn, NY (315) 255-0070
- Central Square, NY (315) 668-9532
- Kirkville Office in East Syracuse, NY (315) 433-0090
- Pulaski, NY (315) 298-3644
- Baldwinsville, NY (315) 635-4619
- Chittenango, NY (315) 687-9400
- Norwich, NY (607) 336-3338
- Western Lights Office in Syracuse, NY (315) 422-1870